Empty Wagons Make A Lot of Noise




Empty Wagons Make A Lot of Noise

When I was in 7th grade attending  Lincoln Junior High School I took a Texas History Class. The class was taught by Mr. Henry Peacock an ex home town college basketball star who was every inch 6ft 5 in tall. I was fairly new to living in Texas and whether I knew it at the time or not I was out of my element. I was a horrible student. I was 28 years old in my 10th year of college before I was ever diagnosed with learning disabilities .  It is hard enough to be a 7th grade kid then add thick glasses and a thick southern Ohio hillbilly accent on top of that and you get a tiny glimpse of me. Like water I took the path of least resistance and used what came natural to me was to become a class clown. Poor Mr. Peacock had to put up with my smart comments and class disruptions longer than he should have. It was early fall and I had already fell behind on my classwork and time management to the point to where my mom and  guidance counselor at school made me have every teacher right down my home work assignments every day after class. Everyday when I would go up to Mr. Peacock desk after class to get my homework and signature for my mom and while filling out my form he would say Chris Empty Wagons make a lot of noise. I thought to myself this guy really likes Texas history. I had know clue what he was actually saying to me. This went on for months everyday empty wagons make a lot of noise. Mr. Peacock never got upset he was always kind and patient with me. One day he finally asked me "Do you know what that phrase means?" I replied no I just figured it was about cows and stuff. He then went on to explain that an empty wagon made the most noise because it had nothing inside to give it weight and that every little rock or bump it hit would cause it to bounce around make noise. In other words the ones who are most ignorant are the most vocal. My teacher  was kind to me all semester . He even laughed at my jokes and skillfully steered the class back into the right direction without calling me out or making me fell stupid. He wisely took advantage of a 1 -2 minute exchange between classes to cause me to think while building a relationship with me to where one day he could practice   
Ephesians 4:15  instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church .

That phrase helped shape me as a young man. I had a teacher hold a mirror up to my behavior in the most kind and loving way and I did not like what I saw in myself. Mr. Peacock pointed out a few one liners I had said that made the entire class laugh and was the very first teacher to tell me I had a gift. He told me I set the tone for the class and people follow my lead. If I act foolish others will follow me. He then challenged to lead by example and watch the class follow. He even gave me incentive of a guaranteed passing grade as long as I tried and turn my work in on time . It did not matter if the words where spelled right or if I even got the answer wrong he would pass me. I took the challenge my teacher gave me and learned something way more profitable than how many countries ruled over Texas. I learned character and that I need to work on my character, Grades are not what determined my value. I would be lying if I said I became the perfect student after that. I continue as an adult with feelings of inadequacy with anything academic. The main thing I learned from a simple phrase was have something in me to give me some weight . To be full of character and try even if I did not understand. I learned there is always somebody watching and my actions can cause someone around me to stumble. There are days when I get tired of my own voice and I can hear that phrase Empty Wagons make a lot of noise and catch myself. I now can spot empty wagons everywhere I go, as a Pastor I come in contact with people all the time who are ignorant and make the most noise. I am blesses as a 7th grade boy I learned a lesson because one wise person took time to know me then teach me. I have had others also add lessons on top of that foundational lesson and as I have grown in maturity and as a Christ follower I know now everything in me that is empty Christ fills up and gives weight , depth and purpose to my wagon ( me ) . Maybe you feel like your wagon is empty and your life is making a bunch of meaningless noise. It does not have to be that way . The bible is full of everything we need most of it tells me God knows how empty life is outside of a relationship with Him and that He wants to have that relationship with us. You can find out more information about that by following this link   https://www.myriverschurch.com/about/our-beliefs  If you know Christ and you are making a lot of noise or crying out for help ask yourself what is the biggest voice in your life? If you drive a car you know that your car goes where your eyes are looking. If you are going to church ounce a month on social media more than you spend time with the Lord. Christ is not the loudest voice and your life just like the car you drive will go in the direction you are looking. I am not saying you just need to have more faith and everything will be great. Faith is not something you can just will yourself to have more of. Faith is a result of putting in the work on your side of the relationship with God. So let me challenge you like my teacher challenged me. What if you could not fail. Start with finding a church that encourages you to work on having a relationship with God and that the bible is where everything you need to know is. Look for a church that will point you to Jesus and let the Holy Spirit point out your sin instead of having a list for you to keep. Then commit to going weekly. If you are not spending time with the Lord reading your bible start with a Proverb a day there are 31 Proverbs that gives you one per day for a month. Start praying by just thanking God for little things everyday. Take the challenge do it for 6 months and see what happens. Your empty wagon will have the right supplies in it for lives journey. 




 

Comments

Popular Posts